The Data Hub is connected to your market data vendor and allows you to take complete control of your numbers. This guide will explain how to perform some of the key functions of the Data Hub. Here's what it covers:
Data Hub Overview
The Data Hub connects to any data provider or internal data feed and displays the same numbers that you see in your data terminal (pending any applied data edits). It powers all content created in the Pellucid Library.
When you click into the Data Hub, by default you will be in the Definitions section. This is where you will spend the bulk of your time and where you can scrub your numbers.
Note: You can audit the numbers in Pellucid by switching to the Sources section of the Data Hub. This shows a non-editable database of all plottable items and, if applicable, the relevant request codes.
In the Data Hub, you can customize the data configurations for different industry groups or products by using data templates.
A data template lets you save and switch data configurations for different projects without having to re-enter (or reverse) any applied data decisions. For example, the Telecoms group may have its own data template with its own definitions or overrides. During account set-up, a non-editable Pellucid master template will be added to your account (indicated by "Pellucid" in the template name). This master template serves as a blueprint for all newly created data templates. You can create data templates that are shared across your organization (institutional) or visible only to you (personal).
Templates can be switched and created using the drop-down menu at the top of the plottable item table in the Data Hub. Learn more about data templates.
Once you have selected a data template, you can scrub your numbers. To do this:
1. Select a data category and choose the parameters of your data using the drop-down menus and search bars at the top of the plottable items table. No values will load until you have selected a subject company.
2. Once the data has loaded, you can override any of the displayed values. To do this, turn the Scrub mode on using the toggle at the top right of the plottable items data table. All the numbers will fade to gray.
3. To change a value, click in the cell and type in the new number. For multiple values, copy and paste several cells at once. Press enter to save the new values.
4. To add a note, select the override (or overrides) and click "Add note to override" in the blue bar displayed at the bottom of the screen. In the note editor, you can enter any comments, URLs, or page numbers.
5. Once you have finished applying overrides, turn off Scrub mode to recalculate the data. Depending on the type of override, edits will be underlined in blue or yellow.
Overrides are only applicable within the data template you have selected. Learn more about managing your overrides.
Change a definition
Each metric has a definition, as defined by either your data provider, your organization during onboarding, or by Pellucid, for instance, the metric GROSS PROFIT is defined as SALES - COGS. Definitions cannot be changed in any Pellucid master templates (indicated by "Pellucid" in the data template name). However, if you have created a new template (either institutional or personal), you can change how a metric is defined.
To change how a metric is defined
1. Select a data template created by either you or someone in your organization (Pellucid-created data templates will have "Pellucid" in the title). Select the relevant data category and find the metric definition you need to change. Hover your cursor toward the right of the item and click the pencil icon. This will open the definition editor.
2. The top of the definition editor shows the metric’s name, its format, ID, and the data section. The metric's current components are in the Definition section. To change a component, click the drop-down menu and select a new item. You can also change the NA value or click the More Options menu to remove or rearrange a component. Add a fallthrough definition by clicking +Definition. When ready, hit Save and the data will recalculate.
Definition changes only apply to the data template you have selected. If the data template is institutional, it will be shared with everyone who uses that template.
Any changes made to data in the Data Hub will flow through to content created in Pellucid and are also available for download. In this way, the Data Hub serves as a centralized repository for numbers, allowing you to reuse and apply scrubbed data easier and more efficiently.
To create data-driven content, switch to the Library view of Pellucid. Select any content item, add your subject company, comps, and customize any data or appearance options. Request your content item and your content will be fulfilled to your customizations, using your numbers from the Data Hub. Learn more about how to request your first content item.
Note: Content will be fulfilled according to whichever template is selected in the Data Hub.
Click the download icon at the top right of the plottable items data table to download the data as a CSV. Don’t forget to choose a subject company, data template, and data category first.